Sunday, December 16, 2012

Older personal stuff.

The work in this post is going to be from late 2010 to early 2012.

So back in Shark Week of 2010 I participated in a challenge that goes around deviantART every year where for every day of Shark Week, everyone is assigned to draw one shark. It was pretty fun, though I haven't had the time to participate in the years since then-








[SAI]

For Christmas last year I used my new-found people drawing skills for good and drew my friends things as gifts. I still like how this one came out- Bolin from The Legend of Korra~

[SAI]

Then earlier this year I reached a kind of epiphany- if I feel like drawing something, I should draw it. It sounds stupid when I type it out but it's the truth! A lot of what had been blocking me artistically before that point was wanting to draw certain things but I would end up guilt-tripping myself into NOT drawing because I know I should be working on other, more important things. The thing is, this mentality made me not want to work on ANYTHING. It was poisonous for me mentally, productively, and artistically. I still struggle with it occasionally but I just have to remind myself- you want to do it, JUST DO IT.

This is the piece I drew where I was at that turning point. It was an image I had thought I had seen on a movie poster but it ended up just being my mind playing tricks on me. But I still liked the mental image I got. I was so close to NOT drawing this piece but a friend told me to "just do it" and I decided... YEAH. I'm going to! This was the result- 

[SAI, minor edits in Photoshop]

One more thing from earlier this year- there's something that goes around every year called "Draw A Dinosaur Day" and every year I try to one-up myself from the previous year. I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to top this one for next year-

[SAI]

No comments:

Post a Comment